River & bridge


History

In the past Brandon thrived due to navigation – being the lowest point at which the Little Ouse could be crossed all year.  The Bishops of Ely built a bridge some time after 1200, charged a toll to cross and raised much funds.  The Manor of Thetford had a ferry crossing, further east, which also raised funds.

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”8″ gal_title=”Bridge Ram River”]

The road toward the river is now an extension of High Street, but was once known as Brandon Ferry.  Some may remember the old bridge spanning the river, which was replaced in the 1950s.  This bridge was built circa 1600, and was actually built in a meadow adjacent to the Little Ouse, which at the time ran under the corner of the current Ram Hotel.  The river was then diverted to run under the stone bridge.  This method was also done for the Staunch built many years later, built in a meadow followed by the river being diverted through the staunch.  The current bridge, the third across the river, was opened on 23rd July, 1954.

[ttml name=”brandon-river”]